10.17.2011

Just Okay: Seattle Aquarium

I had a Google Offers deal for the Seattle Aquarium burning a hole in my pocket so we met up with my dad and his wife for a day of fish observation and consumption.

The Parking Situation
One of my goals for this blog is to show you frugal ways to have fun with your kids. Unfortunately, the Seattle Aquarium is smack-dab in the middle of downtown Seattle and smack-dab in the middle of downtown Seattle is not frugal place. The parking is insane. There were lots of spots available but it's super expensive. We ended up paying $17 to park for less than 4 hours. I think they had places that were a little cheaper but not by much. (Does any one have any suggestions on how to mix frugal and parking in Seattle? I'd love to hear them!)

The Fun
Back to the aquarium.... The kids had never been there before and they had a great time. The tidal pools can keep kids (and adults) busy for quite a while. Finley loved touching all the starfish and anemones (she couldn't say the word, though!).

 My little jellyfish!

 Grady splashing in the water.

Checking out the fishies.

It was an absolutely beautiful day in Seattle. Soak up that vitamin D while you can!

My boys enjoying the view.

This little guy wins the freaky fish of the day award. My kiddos loved him. They kept trying to high-five him through the glass.

And this lovable guy wins the award for best smile. He was my favorite. I'd like to take him home and call him Fred.

Anyway, after staring at the fish for an hour or two, we all got a little hungry for, well, fish. So we headed to Ivar's for their famous fish-n-chips. Delicious!

Play, Stay Away, or Just Okay
This was a definite Just Okay outing. The kids had a great time (and the adults, too) but it wasn't the most frugal of outings (2 adult tickets + 2 free kids + parking = $36). If I find another deal on tickets I'll definitely snag them. But we'll probably put off another trip until then.

Details ---
Where: Seattle Aquarium (1483 Alaskan Way, Pier 59 Seattle, WA)
When: Daily 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (last entrance at 5 p.m., displays open until 6 p.m.)
Cost: Parking - $4 - $5/hour; Admission - Free (3 and under), $12 (4 - 12), $19 (13 and over)
More Info: Seattle Aquarium website

No comments:

Post a Comment