12.10.2011

Salt Dough Ornaments

I think pretty much every preschooler makes these salt dough ornaments at some point. They are super cheap, super easy and super cute!


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3/4 - 1 cup warm water
Mix together the flour and salt. Then mix in the oil and water until the dough has the consistency of pie crust. Or if you're like me and you don't know what homemade pie crust is supposed to look like, just make sure it's not sopping wet or super dry. You really can't go wrong with this.

I made a half-batch of the dough and we ended up with about 10 ornaments.


Start by rolling out the dough on a floured surface.


Then use cookie cutters to cut out the shapes. Be sure to make a hole in the top for the ribbon. A straw or a meat thermometer works well.


Bake them for about 2 hours at 250 degrees. My oven is a little wonky so your times might be different. Just keep checking them and take them out when they are hard.

Once they've cooled, break out the paint, stickers and any other sparkly things and start decorating. We stuck to Crayola washable paint because of this...


I caught him painting his toes, too. Silly boy!


Finley was very serious about her art, as usual.


I think the kids did a great job! Though I'm not sure where we're going to put all these since we still don't have a tree. I think we'll have to do something about that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment