2.15.2012

Cooking for Kids: Banana Peanut Butter Popovers

I make pancakes or waffles for the kids at least once a week. But I'm getting a little tired of the same old thing. I found this recipe for Peanut Butter and Banana Popovers (shockingly not on Pinterest) and decided to try them out.

I've made popovers before (if you're British like my husband and have no idea what I'm talking about, they're very similar to Yorkshire Pudding). They were good, but didn't have a whole lot of flavor. I love these ones because of the extra flavor from the peanut butter and the banana. And what kid is going to say no to peanut butter and bananas?
Banana Peanut Butter Popovers (adapted from DoughMessTic)
Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • a pinch of salt
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • spray oil
  • 2 small or medium bananas sliced
Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a popover pan with oil. Ummmm... do you have a popover pan? Or even know what one is? Yeah, me neither. Use a cupcake tin and you'll do just fine.

Whisk the eggs, vanilla, sugar, milk, salt and peanut butter together. Add the flour and mix it all together.

Evenly distribute the mix between the cups. Add a few slices of banana to each cup. I only added two slices to each one. Next time I'll add a few more. You can never have too many bananas.

Put the pan in the 375 degree oven. Bake for 5 minutes at 375 then turn it down to 350 and bake for 20 more minutes.

Gently pull them out of the pan and dress them up with whatever sounds good. I was up extra early this morning so I drizzled mine with some maple syrup. And I knew it was going to be an extra long day with two sick kids so I added some chopped walnuts. And just because I'm the mom and I can do what I want, I added some powdered sugar, too.

I'm going to try these again with some different mix-ins. I'd like to try some sort of savory combination next. Maybe some bacon and cheese? Yes, please!

Want some more ideas for Cooking for Kids? Check out these other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment